Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Tuesday 18 November 2014

Review : Interstellar

Just saw Interstellar (no spoilers). I am reminded how very, very, very good 2001 : A Space Odyssey is.

Like The Dark Knight Rises, I label this one a broken masterpiece. It does a lot of things right, and gets a lot of things wrong. Do not believe the hype about how it's the most scientifically accurate movie ever made; I'm surprised Kip Thorne put his name to it. There are rudimentary physics errors which gouge massive holes in the plot (can someone please start a campaign to get floating mountains banned ? I find them offensive), especially given the extremely high publicity about how great the science is supposed to be.

The most distracting thing was that given the technology available to the protagonists, it would have been tremendously easy to design a much better, safer mission of almost zero risk. In fact, the whole space mission seemed unnecessary. I am normally able to switch off to errors in physics (I'm a Dr Who fan, after all...) but these errors were too glaring.

I like the anti-anti-science vibe, that was nicely done. Cinematography is good, visuals are nice (but the black hole is not anywhere near as realistic as existing astrophysical simulations, so the relativity group tell me), soundtrack is decent. Time dilation is used correctly. General plot is sort of OK.But it veers from hopelessly bleak and crushingly unsympathetic to ludicrously (almost laughably) overly sentimental.

I'm probably making it sound worse than it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...