Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Choosing sides

Fun with choosing a political party based on policy.

According to uk.isidewith.com, which lets you choose individual policies and rank their importance, I'm 97% in agreement with Labour (who I will actually vote for) and 91% in agreement with the Greens.

Another website (which I can't find anymore) neatly reversed that, putting me at 97% agreement with the Greens and 91% Labour.

whoshouldyouvotefor.com also puts me strongly in favour of Labour, with a score of 52 (49 for the Greens, 4 for Lib Dems, -15 for UKIP and -16 for the Tories).

voteforpolicies.org.uk lets you choose policy sets rather than individual policies. According to this I chose Liberal Democrat policy sets 50% of the time, with Labour, the Lib Dems and the Greens each getting an equal 16.7% split.

The Telegraphs' election quiz (which is rather simple) says I should vote for Labour, but it's surprisingly close : 77% Labour, 62% Lib Dems, and amazingly, 51% Tory.

2 comments:

  1. Of course the user has no idea of the sophistication of the algorithm used by the website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course, policies aren't the only factor. If I agree with all the policies of a party but think they're incompetent / dishonest and will end up doing the exact opposite, it would be silly to vote for them.

    While I'd choose substance over style any day of the week, style does matter. Leaders ought to have the capacity to inspire and persuade, a characteristic utterly lacking in British politics at the moment.

    Ranking policies by importance is useful, but limited. voteforpolicies lets you reject policy sets before choosing your favourite, but it's not complete. I discovered one Green policy that was so incredibly misandristic (I learned a new word today !) that I couldn't possible vote for them.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...