Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Monday 6 July 2015

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

"Mum," Harry said into the unnerving silence, "I'm going to test the hypothesis. According to your theory, how do I send an owl to Hogwarts?"

His mother turned from the kitchen sink to stare at him, looking shocked. "I - I don't know, I think you just have to own a magic owl."

That should've sounded highly suspicious, oh, so there's no way to test your theory then, but the peculiar certainty in Harry seemed willing to stick its neck out even further.

"Well, the letter got here somehow," Harry said, "so I'll just wave it around outside and call 'letter for Hogwarts!' and see if an owl picks it up. Dad, do you want to come and watch?"

http://hpmor.com/

Thank you Greg Roelofs   :)
http://hpmor.com

4 comments:

  1. You are most welcome, and I hope you enjoy it!  I consider it one of the best novels I've read in the past decade.  Full kudos to Ms. Rowling, of course, for creating the characters and universe in the first place, but Eliezer Yudkowsky created something just as magical.  (And I will always treasure the quote about idiots near the end. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best way to do a fan fic.

    minor spoiler




    And the bit about the moon landing!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...