Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Monday 28 September 2015

Trying to prove an idea can be a form of skepticism too

"But science is built not so much on skepticism as it is on skepticism's socially awkward cousin : doubt. Whether you believe a theory or not is not as important as the ability to change your opinion. It doesn't really matter if you're trying to disprove or prove a theory by testing it, provided you accept the measurements you get and the consequences of those numbers for your theory. So in that sense, trying to prove a theory could be seen as just as "skeptical" as trying to disprove one. "

3 comments:

  1. I doubt mindless things would ever make a mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt chairless things would ever make a chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watches! Proof there's something out there that can create watches. Because they're way too complicated for me to understand therefore: ALIENS!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...