Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Friday 16 October 2015

When it's okay to be closed-minded

I know I usually harp on about the value of doubt in PoS posts, but this time I look at the cases when it's OK to say, "LA LA LA I'm not listening !". If you doubt everything, you end up learning absolutely nothing.

I personally am never going to conduct any tests to see if the Earth is flat because I know it's round. Uncounted numbers of people have already done tests to prove it's round, the only way to get around (ha ha) this is to say, "they're all lying". If you have so little trust in your fellow human beings that you think this many people are lying, one wonders how you're able to get out of bed every morning. You're not in a healthy state of doubt, you are simply paranoid.

I am not a climate scientist, but I believe global warming is likely mostly the result of humans. I am not a biologist, but I believe vaccines work. I am not a surgeon, but I know surgery works. Nor am I a chemist, but I'm pretty sure dynamite works. And I'm not an electrician but I can still use the internet. Is it dogmatic of me to trust the experts on so many issues about which I'm genuinely no better informed than the average man on the street ? No, because I do understand how the scientific method works.

4 comments:

  1. Rhys Taylor I'd love to republish this in my journal on my deviantArt site, with your permission, of course, and with credit to you and back-link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. William Black As always, please go right ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhys Taylor
    Thanks my friend, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...