Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Tuesday 9 February 2016

An origins story

"“Connected” is one of the most generic, but most loaded, buzzwords still in circulation, and for a reason. The notion that information technology is increasingly connecting our lives, for better and worse, is a rudiment of the web 1.0—and the term remains coded with both utopian and dystopian tones. Connectivity promises closeness and efficiency, yet threatens to render us vulnerable and superficial."

It's not brilliant, not awful, but it could be improved an order of magnitude if it was retitled.

https://youtu.be/iWLcWHYmgpg

[Leaving a long gap to avoid spoilers, not that I think it matters that much]













I suggest Star Trek Borg Origins. It's far more fun when you realise the Borg evolved from bored New Age housewives.

The end is, I guess, supposed to be sinister, except that it's not clear why it's sinister. If telepathic technologies are developed, it will just be a thing that happens.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe they are counting on the spectator's imagination for the sinister implications part?
    Living in a world where apparently toasters pirate home computers through wifi, I'd be wary of putting anything connected in anyone's brain, for starters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think it should have ended with a selection of scenes from Star Trek VIII.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...