Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Monday 8 February 2016

The Heavy Water War

I finally watched The Imitation Game last night, which is very good within the confines of its somewhat patchy historical accuracy. Mostly I can forgive it apart from its depiction of Alan Turning as a misanthropic genius. I don't know why people still insist on believing that mathematical brilliance corresponds to social maladjustment. Oh well, Benedict Cumberbatch can act the part, and at least the other characters didn't fit that stereotype.

Anyway today I discovered The Heavy Water War on Netflix, which looks to be a great little series from the first episode. It tells the story of the efforts to sabotage Norweigan heavy water production during WWII, which the Nazis wanted for nuclear weapons. Episode one is so well-made I can't believe it's going to put a foot wrong. Solid cast, very high quality production of a fascinating historical episode.

Time for a short break for some Fallout 4 before resuming with episode 2...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_8p2fROkMc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...