Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Thursday 10 March 2016

Fukushima's radiation level is less than in Cornwall

"On recent visits to the towns of Okuma and Namie inside the radiation exclusion zone I measured a "received dose" of around 3 microsieverts of radiation per hour.  If I were to stand outside here for 12 hours a day, every day of the year, I would receive an annual extra dose of radiation of around 13 millisieverts. That is not insignificant, but it is far below what the data suggest is dangerous to long-term health.

In most countries nuclear industry workers are allowed to receive up to 20 millisieverts a year. There are places in Cornwall in the UK where background radiation levels reach 8 millisieverts a year. The world's highest background radiation rate is found in the city of Ramsar in Iran, which has the astonishing rate of 250 millisieverts a year."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35761136

5 comments:

  1. And how about millions(?) of times the UV radiation from the Sun that people don't bother protecting themselves from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Carlson Isn't your "globalization "people don't bother protecting themselves from" a bit of an over-reach: http://www.statista.com/statistics/301160/suntan-lotion-and-oil-brands-sales-in-the-us/ The sales figures alone disproves your statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark Ruhland MOST people don't protect themselves, that is unless they're specifically lying on the beach et al., and the way I know is that I'm the only one with a greasy face walking down the street.  I use Sunscreen 4 seasons of the year, sunny or overcast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Carlson That's better;-) See, now don't you feel good. When I go to the, which the last time was 20 yrs ago, it was cloudy and raining. No sun to speak of. But, that's Oregon. When I lived in the midwest, I bought sunscreen by the case as the midwest gets beastly sun in June-Oct. Great for the crops and those who worship the Sun. For me, moderation is best.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Ordinary Men

As promised last time  I'm going to do a more thorough review of Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men . I already mentioned the Netf...