Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Saturday 19 March 2016

Something so crazy even the American military wouldn't buy it

I've heard of this before. Still I find this amusing :

"The US Army ran out of money to develop it as a surveillance machine, so the British aerospace company behind it bought the rights back."

Now, call me crazy, but anything the >$200 billion US army says is too expensive is probably best avoided, as a rule of thumb. But hey, they've built one now, so prove me wrong. I for one would love to travel by airship.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-35836218

3 comments:

  1. Well, the United States military is notorious for pork-barrel appropriations which come to nothing more than a system with defense applications which are dubious, at best. Then, of course, there's the simple shifting of the winds of political necessity which cause programs to be cancelled prematurely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith The Tormented One Indeed, for what I've glanced it's pretty much why the project failed. So if this independent UK firm can work efficiently on it, they may have a competitive product.

    I have a doubt for its use for tourism, though: this blimp is kind of ugly, and as irrelevant as it is on its performances, it may drive tourists away.
    Also, I wonder how competitive it would be for moving cargo, compared to plane or ground transport.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Ordinary Men

As promised last time  I'm going to do a more thorough review of Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men . I already mentioned the Netf...