Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Friday 4 March 2016

The brain is not a Bayesian net

The first 2 minutes can be safely skipped. Actually the whole thing would probably have been better as a short webpage rather than a video, but never mind.

Basically, the brain doesn't update every idea automatically when new information is presented. Even when you abandon one belief, other ideas that it spawned still hang around even though the original basis for them has gone. Which explains quite a lot - though by no means all - about the anti-vaccines movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFv5DvrLDCg&feature=share

3 comments:

  1. It's getting so I dislike watching talking heads. Afterwards, I think it would have taken me half as long to read. (Not to mention the music people feel obliged to tack on.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm not sure why there was a need to do this as a video. What really seriously ticks me off are Blender tutorials in video format. You can't do a ctrl+f to find what you're interested in, you can't go through them at your own pace, and usually they take forever to get to the bloody point. Grrrr !

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Ordinary Men

As promised last time  I'm going to do a more thorough review of Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men . I already mentioned the Netf...