Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Sunday 19 June 2016

Most Facebook users reshare without reading more than the headline

Automatically makes me feel guilty about sharing it even though I did read it first.

But most interesting, for our purposes, is this habit of sharing without clicking — a habit that, when you think about it, explains so much of the oft-demoralizing cesspool that is internet culture. Among the many phenomena we'd tentatively attribute, in large part, to the trend: the rise of sharebait (nee clickbait) and the general BuzzFeedification of traditional media; the internet hoax-industrial complex, which only seems to be growing stronger; and the utter lack of intelligent online discourse around any remotely complicated, controversial topic.

This was, incidentally, the Science Post's inspiration for its recent "lorem ipsum" gag on the subject. The editor of the site, who writes anonymously, told The Washington Post that he had tired of seeing the sheer number of misunderstood, misrepresented or straight-up fictitious bunk that people gleefully signal-boost across the internet. The Science Post is run by professors and doctors, he explained: It pains them to see bad information spread this way.

Which is precisely why clickbaity science headlines are so damaging.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/06/16/six-in-10-of-you-will-share-this-link-without-reading-it-according-to-a-new-and-depressing-study/?utm_term=.010b1f70304a

3 comments:

  1. In my defense, I did read immediately after sharing.

    I'm glad I did share it. It's even better than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article... at least, for the 4 out of 10;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can proudly say that I never shared an article that I hadn't read - though I rarely share at all anyway.
    And now I can say I'm probably too proud to do it in the future :/

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Philosophers be like, "?"

In the Science of Discworld books the authors postulate Homo Sapiens is actually Pan Narrans, the storytelling ape. Telling stories is, the...