Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Saturday 13 August 2016

Crackpot Consultancy Service

‘Talk to a physicist. Call me on Skype. $50 per 20 minutes.’

Sounds like a really dodgy hotline when you put it that way, but perhaps I should be charging for those AAAAAAAA posts...

The majority of my callers are the ones who seek advice for an idea they’ve tried to formalise, unsuccessfully, often for a long time. All of them are men.

That last point is interesting. On checking my pseudoscience folder I did in fact come across one woman. I have certainly encountered women who believe in crystal healing, channelling, unspecified mystical forces about "destiny", etc. But female pseudoscientists who've come up with their own physically-motivated but demonstrably wrong idea appear to be very rare indeed. How strange.

After exchanging a few sentences, we can tell if you’re one of us. You can’t fake our community slang any more than you can fake a local accent in a foreign country. My clients know so little about current research in physics, they aren’t even aware they’re in a foreign country. They have no clue how far they are from making themselves understood. Their ideas aren’t bad; they are raw versions of ideas that underlie established research programmes.

Well, some of their ideas are bad. Very, very bad. Others are 99% identical to mainstream ideas that they've invented all by themselves (which is genuinely very impressive), seemingly unaware of what keywords to search for. And then there's a whole spectrum in between.

After our first conversation, they often book another appointment. One of them might even publish a paper soon. Not a proposal for a theory of everything, mind you, but a new way to look at a known effect. A first step on a long journey.

Sweet ! A success story !

Science writers should be more careful to point out when we are using metaphors. My clients read way too much into pictures, measuring every angle, scrutinising every colour, counting every dash. Illustrators should be more careful to point out what is relevant information and what is artistic freedom. But the most important lesson I’ve learned is that journalists are so successful at making physics seem not so complicated that many readers come away with the impression that they can easily do it themselves.

Huh, interesting. As opposed to the journalists/politicians who make scientists out to be an "elite".

I still get the occasional joke from colleagues about my ‘crackpot consultant business’, but I’ve stopped thinking of our clients that way. They are driven by the same desire to understand nature and make a contribution to science as we are.

Ah, well, some people genuinely want to learn and have just happened to get the wrong/outdated/insufficient information. You can reason with these people, they are perfectly sensible. But then there are those who insist that mainstream findings must be wrong because their idea is just so obviously right. Nothing you can ever say with convince them, they will simply shout that you're being dogmatic.

https://aeon.co/ideas/what-i-learned-as-a-hired-consultant-for-autodidact-physicists

22 comments:

  1. :) I really do not feel comfortable with the Big Bang theory, I am not denying it, I don't have a better option to offer, but it simply feels off :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds a bit like my "joke" to open up a physics shop and sell physics.

    Except, it appears you are serious.

    Should I use metric scales, or go with whatever the customer wants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Satyr Icon Well, I'm semi-serious. Quite a lot of outreach is funded on Patreon, so it's not totally bonkers.

    But having a "physics hotline" just puts me in mind of an establishment with flashing neon signs promising "MATHS ! MATHS ! MATHS !" and HOT PHYSICS ACTION !
    ...but maybe that's just me.

    Apparently the author of the article made it work though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. most of the people simply want someone to listen to them

    ReplyDelete
  5. For $150 per hour I'm willing to listen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhys Taylor didn't knew you are into pseudo-science aka psychology

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, yes... just lie back on the couch and I'll make all those bad theories go away...

    I am genuinely interested in trying to understand why people behave the way they do though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading that there was some success being found. The author does point out that he is working with a subset that is willing to not only ask sincere questions, but pay for them.

    Tim Stoev​​ Why should we expect the universe to adhere to our intuition? Much of cosmology and almost all of quantum mechanics feels off to me, but there's no denying that it works.

    There is a desire in popular science, and education especially, to make science and math as intuitive as possible, but the fact is that it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can help for 2500$ an hour, interested :P?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should charge. You can charge double whatever amount you think your time would be worth, and when someone demonstrates they really want to learn and understand, and damn their ego, they can get the next one free. Or possibly they could join a discount club where you charge them reasonable amounts for a discussion of reasonable ideas.

    Incidentally, you've answered at least one of my questions once before. How much do I owe you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Satyricon I am a consulting physicist. I charge extra to use Imperial units in reports.

    I value (what remains) of my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imperial was the US system and not SI, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll offer occasional free discounts to work in units of furlongs and fortnights...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tim Stoev At $2500 per hour, I think I will make you head of the Complaints department. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tim Stoev Aye, laughingly called the 'English' system in North America.

    Which overlooks the fact that England has used a charming mish-mash of metric and Imperial units for many decades.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rhys TaylorAh, the furlong, fortnight, firkin system (FFF) as opposed to CGS or MKS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey. She was the one who told me that they were Schrödinger's feet. $21.50 for that.

    I love Sabine. She is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. James Garry, the unit of charge is the Ferret, defined as the amount of charge collected by dragging a fixed ferret for fifty furlongs on fuzzy flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chris Greene 
    +1

    And a 'Ferret-day' cage is a metal enclosure that is stout enough able to contain a ferret (common or garden, not african) for one day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If the consulting is done for non-physicists, then why does the consultant need actual credentials? Wouldn't fake ones do as well? And why actually listen?

    ReplyDelete
  21. The hope is that the non-physicists can a) learn something and b) contribute something, which won't happen without an actual physicist.
    Although I've been tempted on many occaisions to tell them something that sounds convincing but is actually meaningless...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a crackpot theory of everything and $100 or so to find out WHY it's completely bonkers seems like value for money

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

It's okay to like vinyl

Here's a nice if somewhat over-lengthy piece about why people prefer antiquated technologies like vinyl records instead of digital medi...