Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Wednesday 17 August 2016

Scientists can be idiots too

I had hoped that this...
https://plus.google.com/+AmineBenaichouche/posts/EYVFjFajfyv
... was due to some hacking or slip on the keyboard that to pressing post before adding essential information (e.g., "here's the stupidest reason to be anti-gay that I could find and here's why it's stupid").

But it isn't.
https://plus.google.com/+AmineBenaichouche/posts/bJbRG5qsHrF

It would make more sense if it wasn't coming from someone who claims to value science and rational thinking.


I'll not quote the entirety of the posts for posterity. These will suffice. At the end of Google Plus, he had over 50,000 followers. Stop making stupid people famous.

 As a scientist who takes his positions based on evidence, I've become officially Anti-Gay Homophobic... Gay people should be isolated from society, period. Let's forget about religions, and talk science and philosophy of human nature and ethics. We all know that some homosexuals have a genetic problem, and this kind should be treated in hospitals, but the majority of homosexuals have nothing wrong in their DNA but just like to have sexual intercourse with a male partner, these majority shouldn't have laws and rights to protect them and isolate them until they become straight again... I will politely refuse any handshake with a homosexual, I don't know which bacteria his hand is full of. 

My account was not hacked, and instead of refuting my last post or apologize, I confirm again my philosophical, social and scientific position which is Anti-Gay and homophobia. I was an atheist for many years, a Nietzschean, then I told you that I've become agnostic 13 months ago. Agnosticism is a comfortable position for me, it made me more open and critical for different social and philosophical ideas, arguments, positions and schools. I have been working on homosexuality and sexuality in general and related topics for 10 weeks. I've come to a personal conclusion about sex, society and human nature which is Anti-Gay position, and I wrote an essay about it. My conclusion was based on science, psychoanalysis and philosophy, it has nothing to do with any religion.


The "no true scotsman" and ad hominen fallacies notwithstanding, I maintain that there are some viewpoints so stupid that I'd seriously question the critical analysis skills of anyone holding them. He is, apparently, a particle physicist.

People are weird.

16 comments:

  1. Maybe he thought he had too many followers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I will politely refuse any handshake with a homosexual, I don't know which bacteria his hand is full of."

    Dude. You don't know which bacteria is on the hands of heterosexual people.

    It's a sad truth, that irrational behavior can be treated as perfectly rational, as long as you refuse to accept any objective idea of rationality, or claim that your subjective idea of rationality is the gold standard for objectivity.

    Meanwhile, I'm going to pre-emtively block him. I don't know which toxic memes his social media is full of. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilith Dawn There is such thing as female homosexuals... They are called lesbians. #snark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna warn everyone that coming within 6 feet of me might lead to dangerous outbreaks of science...

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol Rhys Taylor. I hope it's contagious. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark Ruhland As I'm one of those lesbians, I fail to see your point...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lilith Dawn "his hand"???... Wouldn't you mean "*her* hand", since you say you are a lesbian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The power of the human intellect to rationalise its prejudices is incredibly strong. UCL still has a Galton Professor (although now 'of Genetics' rather than 'of National Eugenics').

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark Ruhland I was quoting the post that Rhys Taylor linked to. It was the OP using that particular gendered pronoun.

    I'd like to point out the OP is Swiss, and possibly old-fashioned, and may use "his" as the default, generic pronoun, instead of "his or her" or "their".

    I'd also like to point out that maybe the OP is mainly concerned with homosexual men, judging from his choice of graphic. It's not clear whether he thinks his argument only applies to one gender or to all people.

    So again, I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. It's not like I expect this person to be particularly sensitive to pronoun choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lilith Dawn I didn't take into consideration the OP's location. I was just referring to your use of "his", in your response.

    I just thought it was unusual. No offense meant. Yet, I see your point where It's not clear whether he thinks his argument only applies to one gender or to all people. That is where I was getting my confusion from. I have nothing but respect for all people. I just ask questions for clarification sake;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mark Ruhland I'm not offended, I'm confused.

    I referred to the OP as "him" and I quoted him saying "his," but I never myself said "his."

    But I'm willing to drop this as a matter of mutual confusion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lilith Dawn lol... sounds good;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. StevPhillips​ well, we also know that some homosexuals like the colour green. And some homosexuals are red haired.

    The OP's original statement wasn't technically incorrect, but it was just so completely void of any actual information as to be completely useless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elias MÃ¥rtenson True. He could've said that we all know some homosexuals who are clones of Hitler. That's false across multiple domains -- but in terms of information, it's exactly equivalent to the "genetic problem" statement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Genetic problem" = OMFG that's so different from "genetic condition" it's not even funny. I know everyone's got some pet wacky ideas, but eugenics ? No. Just no.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...