Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Thursday 11 August 2016

Sleeping is important

As I've probably mentioned before, a long-term desire of mine is a luxury reclining chair that can move in such a way as to simulate the motions of a car, train or aeroplane. With many different sliders to adjust the precise frequency of vibration. And a high quality sound system to play the sort of white noise found in said vehicles. Also, it would gradually ease you into a horizontal position, reduce the vibration and lower the volume. The deluxe version would have some kind of cooling system to deal with unpleasant summer stickiness (or a hearing system for unpleasant winter coolness in cold countries).

I like sleeping.

This is pretty close to my vision :

A bed which will rock you to sleep and claims to also improve the quality of your slumbers is being developed by the Sensory-Motor Systems Lab at ETH Zurich. The Somnomat uses specially designed motors which produce smooth movements without making too much noise.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36923115

5 comments:

  1. I can happily drive for several hours... as a passenger I can barely last 20 mins before nodding off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all luck. I can't sleep on vehicles, except some trains. I slept once in a plane. The last leg of about 40 hours of a 4 stage fly-airport-fly-etc to get across the planet. And those 40 hours started in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an extension, I'd like a machine learning system to monitor my sleep/relaxation state and tailor the motion/sound/stimuli to what's actually more effective on me.
    Maybe that way when the robots rise up they'll just put us to sleep instead of putting us to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll skip the chair and opt for an appropriate hat-like of TMS coils and narrow-band LEDs that can zonk me straight to delta.

    Extra pluses for patching it to an ASP deck, so that when the power browns out I get dropped into a beach scene in Barbados.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My problem is that vehicles make me very sleepy, but don't let me fall asleep - unless they have really good head support, I just get a crick in the neck. But they make me too tired to read, causing frustration. Sometimes I can nod off on a train, bus or car, but never planes. It's like they're designed to cause maximum neck-ache. Long-haul flights are a choice between a) neck problems b) wishing the tiny movie screen wasn't so grainy c) immense boredom d) all of the above.

    For a cheaper starter version I propose a motorised hammock. Wouldn't help for flights but it would make for a nice way to nap.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

It's okay to like vinyl

Here's a nice if somewhat over-lengthy piece about why people prefer antiquated technologies like vinyl records instead of digital medi...