Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Friday 23 December 2016

False memories can be infectious

Dr Henry Roediger, a professor at the Washington University Memory Lab, doesn’t think so. “Lots of people remember detailed, but utterly false, memories. In fact, we all have them,” he says. “I have published on what we named ‘the social contagion of memory’ and what others call ‘memory conformity’ – that may be at work here.” Roediger explains that frequently one person’s report of a memory influences another’s, and that false memories can spread in this way. “One person’s memory infects another,” he says.

It is clear that this contagion would only be exacerbated online, where an individual can be influenced by multiple people from all around the world in an instant. The existence of the Shazaam Reddit community, therefore, arguably helps a false memory to spread.

Like accusations that they are misremembering Kazaam however, Shazaam truthers balk at the idea they simply have false memories that have been influenced by one another.

Brains are indeed weird, but it explains a lot about conspiracy theories.

http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/internet/2016/12/movie-doesn-t-exist-and-redditors-who-think-it-does

6 comments:

  1. Some of us just aren't caught out by stuff like this because our memories are so awful we can't keep the delusion they're accurate. I feel so safe now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, this article made me think of something I haven't thought of for a while, and that's a children's book. I think I remember a children's book about a hippo in Zanzibar, but I could never find any evidence of it after becoming an adult. I think it might be this same phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just take a look at Lie Witness News on Jimmy Kimmel, and you'll see all kinds of people with instant false memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humans are SOO unreliable. It's well-known that eyewitness testimony is one of the least reliable pieces of evidence there are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kazaam ? That's discussed in the article.:)

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...