Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Tuesday 20 December 2016

Rogue One : it's quite good

The Force Re-Awakens

My short, spoiler-free verdict on Rogue One : thumbs up ! I give it a solid 7/10. Not epic, but not mediocre either. Very solid and well worth watching. I'm pretty sure there are bits in the trailer that aren't in the film though, which is odd. Felt like it was mostly telling its own independent story, much gritter than the main Star Wars tale, but occasionally flirted quite heavily with the main fairy tale arc.

And it did so quite sensibly - you can easily believe that the Rogue One characters are living their (somewhat) smaller, more real lives, while Luke and Han et al. are doing their grander, far more storytale thing somewhere else but definitely in the same universe. The Rogue character story feels gritty and real whereas the other elements retain their pantomime aspect somehow without causing conflict - a difficult act indeed.

Will write longer review later, but it will mostly be me saying, "yes, that was quite good, wasn't it ?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...