Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Thursday 19 January 2017

If the kids have nothing to do, then give them something to do

Ever hear people moaning about the youth of today ? Of course you do. And the more sympathetic ones will probably say, "it's because they've got nothing to do", or "I blame the parents". And they're probably right. Iceland has gone-all out to give the kids things to do - things they actually enjoy - instead of just droning on about the dangers of drugs, to the extent of giving them £250 per year to spend on recreational activities (I presume this is a voucher, not cash). The scheme also educates and encourages parents to spend much more time with their children. On the more punitive side, it's instituted after-dark late night curfews for the under 16s and restricted sales of alcohol to the over 20s (though I guess the latter is pretty liberal for Americans). The results ? Sometimes, common sense is bang on.

Today, Iceland tops the European table for the cleanest-living teens. The percentage of 15- and 16-year-olds who had been drunk in the previous month plummeted from 42 per cent in 1998 to 5 per cent in 2016. The percentage who have ever used cannabis is down from 17 per cent to 7 per cent. Those smoking cigarettes every day fell from 23 per cent to just 3 per cent.

I can't see all of the Icelandic measures being implemented everywhere, but I'd hope at least some of the techniques could be widely adopted. The nice thing is that it fits into a lot of pre-existing narratives about how to deal with youth problems; the only "radical" thing here is the finding that warnings about drug addiction are not enough. But really by now that should be self-evident.

https://mosaicscience.com/story/iceland-prevent-teen-substance-abuse

3 comments:

  1. Minor point of pedantry regarding "after dark" curfews - 10pm in winter is about seven hours after dark in Reykjavik. Or not remotely dark in summer.

    But, as usual, Nordic sensibleness wins again. I really wish I was in a position to be able to move to Iceland, I'd do it in a second if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. _ £250 per year to spend on recreational activities _

    In terms of return on the dollar, easily a top-notch investment for governments.

    As someone who has worked with teenagers almost his entire adult life, I'll file this under "well, d'uh". It's sad that this is so hard to push anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...