Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Sunday 8 January 2017

It'll fold your laundry, but reeeeally slowly

This one isn't going to catch on. It's enormous and takes 5-12 minutes to fold each item. And all the folding happens inside a big grey box, so you don't even get to see any cartoon-style robot hands working their magic.

However, the next version will have a washer and dryer incorporated. That might have more success. Imagine just bunging your dirty laundry into a device, pressing a button and coming back a few hours later to clean folded laundry... well it's hardly the invention of the steam engine but I can see people buying it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38541533

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, who needs clothes folding? The full process, washing, drying and folding is useful. Although I still don't care about the folding. Can it iron things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never do ironing or folding, I just hang them. Really the only marginal amount of effort this takes is hanging them to dry first since I don't have a dryer. And occasionally forgetting to take them out of the machine at all because it doesn't beep when its finished. The only household chore that takes any time for me is washing the dishes, and there's already a machine invented that can do that... of course, it's different if there are five of you.

    What would be really neat would be a gardening robot. Gardens are nice, gardening isn't. Also something that can clean up dog poop.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...