Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Prove me wrong

Regular readers know I'm very skeptical of the existence of Planety McPlanetFace, a.k.a. Planet 9. So here's your chance to prove me wrong !

Is there a large planet at the fringes of our solar system awaiting discovery, a world astronomers call Planet Nine? We’re looking for this planet and for new brown dwarfs in the backyard of the solar system using data from NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) mission. But we need your help! Finding these dim objects requires combing through the images by eye to distinguish moving celestial bodies from ghosts and other artifacts. There are too many images for us to search through by ourselves. So come join the search, and you might find a rogue world that's nearer to the Sun than Proxima Centauri---or even the elusive Planet Nine.

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/marckuchner/backyard-worlds-planet-9?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=BWP9Launch15Feb2017&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=GM

1 comment:

  1. I'm personally very sceptical of all the claims of a ninth planet. Slightly less sceptical of an actual orbiting body. But it does seem unlikely there's anything left in our system that would be defined as a planet. And quite frankly, the existing claims are all conspiracy grade nonsense.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...