Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Friday 29 September 2017

This new Star Trek, then...

(Spoiler free, please keep any comments likewise)

I just finished the first episode. I'm not sure about it yet. I think I was completely distracted by the ludicrously angled screenshots (something I've not seen since the 2005 Doctor Who), weird camera movements and blinding amounts of lens flare. And why have the Klingons turned into Orcs ? Do we really need twenty minutes of Klingons speaking Klingon with subtitles ? I don't think we do. I don't think they need to be so ornate either. I quite like the Federation ship though, even if the uniforms and aliens have blatantly been stolen from Galaxy Quest.

And dammit, Michael is a boy's name and you won't convince me otherwise.

Right, on to episode 2...

4 comments:

  1. Extreme camera angles and ridiculous lens flare is a great way to spoil whatever immersion may have otherwise been possible.

    "Oh, you forgot that you're watching a show a feel like you're just watching the action unfold directly? NOPE! You're actually watching through a reflective pane of glass that's fallen off its mount!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the freakin' lenz flarez, inside the bridge. sigh

    I'm pulled out of this being a TOS prequel, due to extreme disuse of any TOS/Pre-TOS design elements. If they'd even given a nod in that direction, I'd be ok with it. Overall, the color scheme and lighting made me think it was some sorta bastard spin-off of Battlestar Galactica and Andromeda. And then the plot/dialog (of ep 1; haven't seen further) also didn't mesh with Star Trek. Seemed very generic 'high tension' scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They managed to fail at everything. Granted, just about every Star Trek first episode has been painful to watch, but this one is on the level of Voyager bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was worse than Voyager bad. :-/ Klingon redesign du jour, an unbelievable character action, the usual Hollywood we-don't-understand-basic-physics BS, and yes, the Enterprise-esque lack of reverse continuity. Star Trek Continues and Prelude to Axanar are vastly better in almost all regards.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Ordinary Men

As promised last time  I'm going to do a more thorough review of Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men . I already mentioned the Netf...