Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Saturday 28 October 2017

A university professor's letter to the Daily Fail

Dear Witchfinder General

I am writing to turn myself in as what your paper would consider a biased professor.

I discuss the details of refugee law with my students, whereas your paper referred to the “problem” of Jewish refugees “pouring into the country” and depicted recent asylum seekers as rats.

I ask students to look at EU and human rights laws on LGBT equality, whereas your paper referred to “abortion hope” after a “gay gene” was found.

I discuss the risk that far right extremism poses to human rights, whereas your paper cheered “hurrah to the blackshirts”; and I outline the importance of the rule of law, whereas your paper shrieks that judges it disagrees with are “enemies of the people”.

Despite all this, I can only dream of receiving the huge sums from the EU that your editor Paul Dacre has obtained. _

I can only salute your paper’s commitment to the truth, in spite of its many losses and settlements in libel cases and the frequent readers’ complaints it provokes.

Yours sincerely,

Steve Peers

Professor of Law, University of Essex

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/satire/professors-letter-daily-mail-going-viral/27/10/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

These things are not the same as these other things

Today, a couple of similar-ish pieces from Pscyhe I think I can get away with combining into a single post. The first one is very simple, d...