Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Monday 21 May 2018

Audio illusions

I hear "Laurel" most clearly one bar to the left. Beyond that it's still Laurel, just more distorted. One bar right of centre and I here Yanny. Further to the right and I get Yaylee.

It's like those moments in conservation of mixed nationalities where one side insists the other is making a teeny-tiny mispronounciation that creates a a completely different word, except now you can do it on demand with a slider. I imagine it's only a matter of time before someone spoofs the scene in Contact where they first here the alien signal and it's this...

Originally shared by Charles Filipponi

The NYT is not what is used to be, or maybe it never was. Anyway, as with anyone who loves information, I take it as it comes.

And while I was sitting in a hotel room the other day, I was surprised to see a Twitter storm involving "Laural" v. "Yanny".

People have a lot of time on their hands.

I clearly heard "Laurel" but the explanations of frequency content are trivially true. The surprise is that the terms are so different - just adding some higher frequency content (rather than modulating the lower content as well) seems like an unlikely reason for such a disparity. [I did not hear "Yanny" until the slide was on the last tick before the end on the right.]

But here is the NYT with something one can play with - it adds or subtracts some content. The truly interesting thing here is the"Once you see it, you can't not see it" thing. This is part and parcel of the brain's template business.

I can slide it over to produce "Yanny" but sliding it back does not produce "Laurel" where it once did. So there is more than frequency content at play.

Kind of interesting. #Laurel

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

1 comment:

  1. I am avoiding this whole thing on principle. I very nearly picked up and threw a large piece of office furniture at someone who kept enthusiastically popping up behind me wearing a moronic smile and advising me of new theories in the blue/gold dress thing when that was the big mystery fascinating the cognoscenti of Facebook and popular media.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Positive effects from negative history

Most books I read tend to be text-heavy. I tend to like stuff which is analytical but lively, preferably chronological and focused on eithe...