Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Tuesday 29 May 2018

The difference between imagination and belief

QUESTION: Two people in a room are asked to imagine a lion. One closes her eyes and says: ‘Yes, now I see it; it’s walking around; I see the mane and the tail.’ The other person runs screaming from the room. Which one is imagining a lion?

ANSWER: Clearly the person running out of the room is imagining a lion. The other is imagining a movie of a lion. There are no sense organs in our brains; if there were, we would see nerves and not lions. To imagine something is to behave in the absence of that thing as you would normally do in its presence – as you would do if you perceived that thing. Thus, as Aristotle said, imagination depends on perception. Actors on the stage are performing acts of imagination. Good acting is not a consequence of good imagination but is itself good imagination.

No, no, no. The difference between the two people isn't fundamentally because of how good their imaginations are. It's that the person who runs away actually believes a lion is there. They might also have a vivid mental picture of the lion but that's not the same as believing their mental perceptions are true. Instead they have a delusional, hallucinatory belief - the kind of idea that possess the mind rather than one the mind possess, as someone once put it. It's entirely possible to imagine a lion in immaculate detail, from the flecks of dirt in its fur to the hot saliva dripping off its teeth, even secondary effects like the sense of fear the beast would engender, without actually believing that it's real. Conversely one could be utterly terrified of a fairly shoddy imagining of a lion if one believed it was real. Imagination, belief and consequent behaviour are different things. Imagination may depend on perception but belief doesn't.

I insisted that ‘I love you’ is a trite and overused, and therefore meaningless, phrase. I added that if they didn’t know I loved them from my behaviour, nothing I said would make them believe it. My wife said: ‘Well, say it anyway.’ I refused and added: ‘But I’ll tell you what I will do. I’ll say “You love me,” which is neither trite nor meaningless, but based on extensive behavioural observation.’ Then we exchanged ‘You love me’ all around. We were in a much better place than if we had said ‘I love you’: we each had unmistakable evidence for what we said – that we were loved – and could be truly believed.

They're a bloody daft lot if you ask me. Inasmuch as we can know anything at all, we can know our own opinions. Other people are much harder to gauge. True, their behaviour constitutes extremely important evidence as to their opinions. But what they say their opinion is also matters. Combine both as you've got the best possible evidence. If we state our opinion of someone else's opinion, we're only going to believe them if they react appropriately. So we end up back where we started, i.e. expressing our own opinions. Anyway, this particular sort of belief is hardly one that's based on rational evidence, so it's a silly example anyway.
https://aeon.co/ideas/teleological-behaviourism-or-what-it-means-to-imagine-a-lion

5 comments:

  1. What if I saw a painting of a lion? Same answer, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if you saw a painting of a lion, or a stuffed lion, or an animatronic lion waving its claws in a ferocious manner, you might momentarily believe there was a real lion. So same answer : belief causes behaviour, not imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Econ Talk just posted an interview with the dual brain guy, Iain McGilchrist who wrote the Master and His Emissary.

    Experience is also important. I had a client with a pet lion. It was well behaved for years and you could be convinced it was a house pet. One day it bit his girlfriend. But heck, it was only once.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Positive effects from negative history

Most books I read tend to be text-heavy. I tend to like stuff which is analytical but lively, preferably chronological and focused on eithe...