Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Friday 22 June 2018

Birds use quantum entanglement to navigate

Well that's weird, but what on Earth is it like to possess such a sense ?

In the early 2000s, researchers narrowed down the possibilities where the birds’ magnetoreceptive sensor could be. It was found that migratory birds can use a compass-like sensory mechanism in their eye for navigation, more specifically a certain protein that can sense the difference in lights during flight, which help the brain to plot the differential information into a travel plan. In a way, the protein acts like the magnetic needle in a compass. The focus of the hypothesis was on a class of magnetoreception proteins known as cryptochromes. But no one knows which variation of this protein can do the job.

From the video transcript :

The scientists theorise that as incoming light enters the eye, a photon hits the cryptochrome protein and that excites the electrons on it. The energy is then transferred between two molecules within the protein, yielding two free electrons that are quantum entangled and therefore correlated. They theorise the electrons spin forms a coherent quantum state that reacts to a weak external magnetic field, say, for example, the Earth's magnetic field. 

Basically if they're right these two electrons are reacting to the bird flying through Earth's magnetic field. As the bird turns from moves [sic] the electron spin differently, causing different messages to be sent to the bird's brain. The chemical signals that are sent to the brain allow it to detect the magnetic field - again, if they're right - to within just five degrees.

https://www.labroots.com/trending/chemistry-and-physics/11818/compass-eyes-how-migratory-birds-navigate

4 comments:

  1. > Quantum mechanics does not just rule the realm of physics, many biological processes that involve the conversion and transportation of energy (such as photosynthesis) are quantum mechanical in nature.

    ... Yes. Chemistry involves quantum mechanics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is you probably do possess such senses, at least atavistically. Like external spaces which we have not discovered much of, internal space has much in the way of undiscovered country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It also keeps the sun shining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have this ability. Or rather, I don't get "lost" in the sense where I don't know where I am. I always know where I am and if I've been to a place before where it is. It's the stuff between me and it that's the problem.

    So if I'm approaching a place I've been to before from an unusual direction, say East where I usually come from the West I can feel it. It's like an itch when I have to dogleg North or South to get to my goal. If I'm really motivated to get there it's a really annoying itch.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Ordinary Men

As promised last time  I'm going to do a more thorough review of Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men . I already mentioned the Netf...