Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Friday 14 September 2018

The IgNobel Prizes 2018

This year's highlights include :

Scientists are sometimes rudely described as being "up their own backsides" if they are thought to be too obsessed with their research. However, this is literally the case with a Japanese researcher, Dr Akira Horiuchi, who won the Medical Education Prize for devising a "self colonoscopy" technique using a small endoscope.

"This trial may be funny, but I inserted an endoscope into my colon for a serious purpose," he told BBC News.

And :

Nutrition: A British researcher won the Nutrition Prize for calculating that pound per pound, it is not worth eating human flesh compared with other types of meat. This was to analyse the eating practices of early humans, rather than to inform present-day dietary choices.

Well now we know.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45513012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...