Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Tuesday 25 September 2018

The Russians may indeed be responsible for electing Trump - but with a major caveat

This is a long and detailed read. I may try to add some quotes tomorrow, time permitting, but not right now.

I will slightly shift my stance on this. While I remain absolutely unable to comprehend how millions of people can think of Trump as presidential material, the fact is, they do. Given that the political and ideological divide is so sharp even when a talking racist orange mass of indeterminate substance is one of the candidates, a landslide victory is not really possible. So, knowing that, it wouldn't take much to tip the balance. In that sense the Russian influence could be decisive in effect despite being small in magnitude, and they could thereby be legitimately seen as responsible. The fact that millions of people are apparently unable to realise basic things like, "fire is hot" and "Donald Trump is a bad person" is another, quite separate issue.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/01/how-russia-helped-to-swing-the-election-for-trump?mbid=social_twitter

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that was the polite version....

    ReplyDelete
  2. BBC News gave me a laugh, yesterday: "At the U.N, President Trump calls on the world to isolate Iran, accusing its leaders of stoking violence and international tensions." Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...