Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Friday 12 October 2018

Review : Doctor Who season 11 episode 1

I watched the first episode. I would give this a solid 'B' rating. This is recognisably Doctor Who with a decent story, noticeably improved special effects, and a familiar theme. But Jodie Whittaker's Doctor is very, very different from Capaldi's, and may take some getting used to (by way of comparable change, Michelle Gomez's Master was practically identical to John Simm's version). Whereas the 12th Doctor was a mad wizard, inhuman with just a dash of slightly evil but the heart of a saint, the 13th Doctor is warm and friendly to a fault. Whittaker's comic timing seems to feel just a little off, and she desperately needs the opportunity to show some other emotion than polite, friendly diplomat. And the pacing of the episode felt at times a bit sluggish, though I'd choose this over the Matt Smith hyperactive era any day.

It's early days though, so I'm optimistically curious to see how this develops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEc-OQ_oqDk

13 comments:

  1. I probably won't see it until it comes to Netflix or something, but from the previews, I was reminded more of Tennant's Doctor--upbeat, but not frenetic. Looking forward to seeing her, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second episode is 10x better. But I agree with your criticisms on the 1st. And some minor bits still seem overly dramatic or pushed. I think these are just warmups, to re-establish the story and characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaun Griffith I thought the second episode wasn't out yet ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhys Taylor Someone I know gets to see the previews, to write reviews. Embargoed, of course. I probably shouldn’t get them in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked her very much but thought the story was mediocre. I've seen the actress on Graham Norton. She's actually married to an American so she clearly has good taste...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Author W. H. Mitchell Melania is married to an American as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shaun Griffith So is my wife so it's a crapshoot to be sure...

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I watched the first Capaldi episode, I was so unimpressed by it that I couldn't find the motivation to watch the rest of the season. It was over a year later before I bothered and found out how brilliant his Doctor had become.

    New Doctors often have big boots to fill, particularly so in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judging by the apparent ordering of the BBC-A marathon (I caught only the last day and a half), the new doctors' rankings, from most- to least-liked, are: 11 (Smith), 10 (Tennant), 12 (Capaldi), 9 (Eccleston), with "0" (Hurt) omitted.

    Probably not the order I would have chosen, but I have some moderately large gaps in my recent viewing history, so it's hard to say. I do agree 9 did himself no favors by sticking around for only one season, though.

    Anyway, I thought Whittaker's portrayal showed about as much promise as any regeneration episode. Heck, Tennant was asleep for most of his...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greg Roelofs I think 9 was more or less fired before his season aired. I got the feeling chaos ruled on the set, and he didn’t put up with it, or something like that. (Now I need to go ask an expert.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shaun Griffith Ah, I was unaware of that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greg Roelofs I went and got the lowdown from the expert. Eccleston is a quiet person, and the production needed him to be "the leader" on set. Also, his father was suffering from vascular dementia, and Eccleston was driving back and forth from Cardiff to Manchester often to deal with it. All this made for a stressful set, and he quit after the first season filming was complete, before the premier. He may have fallen out with the show runner. It's not clear that anyone really knew what he was going through at the time either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shaun Griffith Many thanks! More than a little tragic. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Ordinary Men

As promised last time  I'm going to do a more thorough review of Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men . I already mentioned the Netf...