Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Sunday 21 October 2018

Review : Doctor Who season 11 episode 2

I liked the first episode well enough, but I found the second a big improvement. Not exactly the most complex of storylines, but it was well-executed. The supporting cast were surprisingly decent, the plot development was interesting and well-paced. Though it's clear Whittaker is always going to be the polite, helpful Doctor, she got to show a much wider range of emotions this time. So far it's sticking to relatively safe plotlines but that's not a bad thing, and we got the first hint of the overall story arc. This was introduced with the brief subtly we got back in the Russel T. Davies era, which I much prefer than the more brazen style of Moffat. Davies was always better at setting up and delivering a season finale, so that bodes well.

I'm not sure I'm so keen on having a whole gang of companions rather than just one or two : we don't get the chance for much focused character development. But it's still early days, so this could work. On the other hand, the only thing I definitely don't like is the new TARDIS interior, which is a strange return to the "Grunge" phase of Tennant. Dunno why they did that, but oh well.

Overall, I thoroughly approve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5K4TlNUxY

3 comments:

  1. RT Davies understood enough about the essentials to dispense with the rest of the early canon, a substantial portion of which was rubbish anyway. Davies had been trying to get a female Doctor as early as a decade ago.

    The addition of Mark Tonderai to the directorial posse is quite exciting, for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed; this was a good episode, lots of fun. The third one felt a little derivative, alas (think Quantum Leap). Not a bad story; indeed, one that should have been told long ago. But not really a Dr. Who story in any important way, I'd argue. (Details intentionally omitted to avoid spoilers, but the preview at the end of episode 2 should provide enough context.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be watching episode 3 tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Ordinary Men

As promised last time  I'm going to do a more thorough review of Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men . I already mentioned the Netf...