Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Wednesday 3 July 2019

Hungary has had a bit too much to think

Ah, Hungary, the other sick man of Europe.
The country’s Academy of Sciences appears to be the latest target for increased state control. The academy consists of a society of distinguished scientists and intellectuals, alongside a broad research network of 15 institutes and 150 research groups comprising about 3,000 scientific researchers.
The government’s plan would separate these institutes from the main academy, and create a governing board in which government-appointed delegates would have a majority. Parliament, which is dominated by Orbán’s Fidesz party, is currently debating the bill. It is expected to be passed and come into force by 1 September. 
Hungarian government officials say it is reasonable for the government to have a say in how state funding is used. “The academy of sciences is a sovereign institution, but not independent from national interests,” said the foreign minister, Péter Szijjártó, at a conference in Bratislava last week. “It’s obvious that they should make research in areas and directions which are important from the perspective of the future competitiveness of the country.”
If I go to a florists and order a bouquet, it's reasonable for me to specify what sort of flowers I want. It's my bouquet, and while I rely on the technical skill of the florist to actually create the arrangement, I get to have some input into the design if I already have something in mind. I may know roughly what I want, just not how to get it.

Now if I have no clue at all what sort of arrangement I want, I must rely on the florist more heavily. I might still be able to suggest some changes to the final product, but if I ask the florist to design the thing, then I am paying them for their design as well as the physical product. I then absolve myself of much of a claim to know what design is appropriate. My role in the process diminishes.

If I pay for university tuition, then I'm paying the hear the expert opinions and findings of the professors. In doing so I implicitly declare that they know more than me, and that I will listen to their opinions even if they differ from my own. Of course, I'm also expecting that they'll listen to me and answer my questions, but I'm paying for the right to be educated properly, not to taught things that I already know or necessarily agree with. My role in deciding what they teach me is, after I enroll in a course, next to zero.

So if I'm a government seeking to fund scientific research, I am declaring that I don't have knowledge and wish for people to acquire it on my behalf. If I then say, "but I'm going to decide who's best to set what knowledge I need and how to get it", then I am basically saying, "I don't know what kind of flowers I want but I know who will make a good choice on my behalf, so I'm sending in this team of people I think would be good a running a flower shop even though I know nothing about flowers myself." It's silly. Of course science can't be separated entirely from politics, but this level and type of interference is daft. And anyway, as the old saying goes : "Do not meddle in the affairs of scientists, for they are nervous and quick to hide under a blanket."

Hungary eyes science research as latest target for state control

Academy will be managed by nationalist government in unprecedented move

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Philosophers be like, "?"

In the Science of Discworld books the authors postulate Homo Sapiens is actually Pan Narrans, the storytelling ape. Telling stories is, the...