Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Wednesday 28 October 2015

Waste not, want not

I don't normally care much about food stories, but the scale of the problem demands attention.

"This kind of near-criminal waste of good fresh produce is, unfortunately, very much the norm. Approximately one-third of the food we produce in the UK is never eaten. Take a minute to think about that - millions of tonnes of good food, and all the resources that go into producing it, squandered. Bonkers, isn't it ?"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34647454

2 comments:

  1. We waste that much food and yet we're still obese. We either need to produce less (people will be forced to be less fussy about shape and colour then) or need efficient chillers so we can just ship it out to counties that are hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aleksander Suchanowski I could be wrong, but I don't think food in the UK is taxed at all except for confectionery and alcohol.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Human Kind

I suppose I really should review Bregman's Human Kind : A Hopeful History , though I'm not sure I want to. This was a deeply frustra...