Sister blog of Physicists of the Caribbean in which I babble about non-astronomy stuff, because everyone needs a hobby

Sunday 6 December 2015

A sequel to War of the Worlds

For a horrible three seconds I thought it meant a movie sequel to that Tom Cruise vomit. Fortunately :

"Written by Stephen Baxter, The Massacre of Mankind will see the Martians from Wells's story invading Earth once more, having learned from the mistakes they made first time around. The author of more than 20 novels previously penned The Time Ships, a sequel to Wells's 1895 story The Time Machine."

And I did enjoy The Time Ships very much, but in a completely different way to the original. Baxter is better at hard s.f. than Wells (so he should be, he's had more than a hundred years of extra scientific advancements to draw on), but he doesn't hold a candle to him as a social commentator.

I still don't understand why no-one has made a good movie version of the original book. Vampire aliens riding astride huge steampunk tripods smashing up Victorian London ? Why would this not make money ??
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35004565

4 comments:

  1. Rhys Taylor "that Tom Cruise vomit." That got me laughing til I cried. So, I can take it that you are not a Tom Cruise fan? Would that be fair to say? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do like The Last Samurai, Minority Report, and A Few Good Men. Nothing against Tom personally, even if he is a Scientologist nutjob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhys Taylor There are a lot of 'em out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would  love to see this War the Worlds/World War I short movie made into something full length. One of the best realisations of the tripods yet.

    https://vimeo.com/107454954

    ReplyDelete

Due to a small but consistent influx of spam, comments will now be checked before publishing. Only egregious spam/illegal/racist crap will be disapproved, everything else will be published.

Review : Ordinary Men

As promised last time  I'm going to do a more thorough review of Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men . I already mentioned the Netf...